April 7, 2008

Spring & Answers

Lovely first bits of spring on my desk.

Bits of Spring

I've been a bit lax in answering all the questions you guys have asked in the comments section, even though I have been greedily using all the advice you have given. Thank you so much for all of things you write, answers as well as questions! It's not that I mind answering, it's just that I'm lazy... so I thought I'd make a post to gather them all up.

- tiff and emsres wondered how I made this denim skirt for Lara. The skirt was easy to make because although it looks like it features godets, they are actually faux. I made the front and back of the skirt the same way: four hemmed pieces of denim, each about 4"x10", sewn together at angles with each other. Then, another piece of semicircular fabric is sewn behind. This gives the illusion of godets!



- Terri asked about patterns for these flowy tops. Terry, I'm so sorry, I don't think I could do a pattern for these! My sewing style (ahem, read: blind stabbings in the dark) generally just involve massive amounts of try-on and error rather than premeditated pattern. The tops are basically combinations of rectangles - and what you see in the pics is pretty much what you get. I don't sew well enough to have any sewing secrets :)

- The Alpha Team asked where I got the felt for Lara's name book. Amazingly enough, the felt was from a thing of off-cuts that you can buy by the bag at JoAnn's or Michael's craft stores. I think mostly this fact just highlights my cheapskate quality, especially when I see people in blogland using the super-fancy wool felt. Eh, the acrylic looks nice too!

- and finally, about this monster veggie skull thing: I have on final authority (Misha's grandmother) that this is celeriac (aka celery root). She sends along this recipe (can you tell she's a serious cook?):

3-3/12 lbs celeriac (about two of them)
1 lb baking potatoes
1 celery bunch with leaves
6-7 shallots or half of large vidalia or other sweet onion or 2 leeks
1 1/2 tsp dried thyme or 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tsp salt
60 oz. chicken stock
2 packets of star porcini mushrooms
3/4 cup water

- dice veggies
- put 1/4 cup butter or canola oil in large soup pot and heat
- stir in diced vegetables, thyme and salt
- cover and cook, stirring from time to time, for 10-15 minutes, but do not let
veggies brown
- add chicken stock
- dilute porcini in water in the microwave
- add porcini to stock, butter, and veggie mixture
- cook for 40-45 minutes until all veggies tender, then puree mixture
- add salt to taste
- serve as is, with dollop of sour cream, or yogurt, or with a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna
Thank you so much for your answer! It's cool that you didn't use a pattern. They turned out great!