September 27, 2016

Polymer Clay Necklace

For some reason, it's taken me up until two days ago to consider using the polymer clay the kids like to play with as a jewelry material. I'm not sure what I was thinking. That it was too kid-adjacent? Too clunky to work with without specialized tools? In any case, what an odd blind spot, I now realize, after scrolling through page after page of gorgeous polymer clay pieces on Pinterest.

So, here is my first attempt - a few textured circled joined with jump rings and hung from a silver chain.



I stuck to subdued versions of primary colors to reference the playfulness of the material, and I didn't use anything to shape the circles besides fingers and a few random craft room objects (for example, the divots on the red circle were made with a fusible bead).



I really like how it came out! It's got a fun, relaxed vibe, and as a bonus, it weighs practically nothing.

What new materials have you recently discovered?

No comments: