September 10, 2008

Shirt Recon

White angled tank with buttons

Made from two of Misha's old button downs. I mostly just use a pin-try-on-and-repin method of figuring out shapes because I'm too lazy/impatient to use patterns, don't yet have a dress dummy to do the modeling for me, and am unable to do the kind of architectural conversion of two-dimensional polygons into three-dimensional objects that you need to be able to create patterns in your mind. Do you remember the architect on Project Runway? I always thought that was an excellent fit in terms of the kind of visualization skills both fields require.

I really like how this came out - it's tunic length and goes reasonably well with my obsession with that baggy, loose, swingy style. Top bad it's a tank and we're about to head into fall.... One of these days I guess I should try to deal with sleeves.

8 comments:

Mortimer's Mom said...

a) the shirt is fantastic
b) make your own dummy, from your very own body. it's super easy: wear an old tshirt and a good bra, give your husband or a friend a large roll of duct tape and have them tape you in, taking the time to shape your boobs nicely. I suggest you hold your arms away from your body just a little bit, but you can't tape your arms anyways, just your shoulders.
It gets hot in there, but if they are fast, it doesn't take too long.
Have them cut you out in the center back (I marked my waist with a sharpie before I got out). Tape the seam back up, stuff with plastic bags or packing peanuts, hang form a hanger or make a pedestal with a broomstick. Voila, a perfect sewing dummy for the price of 2 rolls of tape and an old tshirt (the shirt stays inside)

ANI said...

This shirt is gorgeous, and very inspiring. I was going to suggest making a dummy from plaster, but the duct tape sounds way easier!

liz said...

Do I sense a fellow English major here? I recognize so many of those books on your bookshelf...

and I love what you've done with this piece.

Terri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Great job! I love the shirt! Who needs patterns! : )

Anonymous said...

I loved the shirt - it is so creative and looks great. I loved the trimmings and especially the unusual shape. Fantasic!

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Can you wear a gauzy long sleeved shirt underneath for Fall?

Whitney said...

I love that shirt! Did you say you made it from a button up shirt?? How did you manage that??

BTW I just found your blog and I love it! :)