January 20, 2008

The Long View

You know what's not conducive to blogging? A sick, miserable toddler. Bleh around here the last few days...

So, a quick post before I go back to relaxing while she naps.

I think I might have crossed some kind of handmade threshold last week when I gave myself a haircut. In my own bathroom. With only my bathroom mirror and some regular Fiskars scissors (of course not my fabric ones!) for assistance. It helps hugely that curly hair is extremely forgiving of unevenness, but I think I might have actually given myself the elusive haircut that I for some reason cannot get the people in the salon to give me. (I admit that working with curly hair is hard - but since it is hard, and since I've been living with my hair for my whole life and know how it works, why can't the stylist just listen to me as I describe what to do?)

Haircut

I might keep up cutting my own hair from now on....

Also, I started another project, which is where the title of this post comes from.

quilt - blue squares cut pieces

That's right, my first quilt, intended to eventually cover our bed. All I've done is cut the pieces and put together a few of the squares, and oh my gosh it's going to be a long LONG project. Wow, quilters, a newfound respect for all of you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lara, Lara - please get better soon.. for many reasons, one of them - we missed the new entries on the blog. Thank you for the update and ... a great haircut (we now know too much, otherwise you could never tell you did not get your haircut at a hairsalon for a 100 bucks :)

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

The haircut looks great! Congratulations on having the courage to do it. You just never know what you can do until you try....
~Elaine~

Terry Grant said...

I have cut my own hair for years. People are horrified when I tell them, but strangers stop me and ask where I got my hair cut. Same reasons as yours. The haircutter never listens--and then asks me for $40 for a bad hair cut. I think not!

Unknown said...

I completely understand you about the haircut. I have curly hair too and I have been cutting it for almost 3 years now. I like it so much better!! I used to go from salon to salon and was never happy with the haridressers.
Hope that Lara gets better soon! My son has a fever too :(

Anonymous said...

The quilt will go quicker than you think. The pattern you selected is great and will look lovely in the colors you've chosen.

wayfarer said...

Very nice so far. My first one (and only one) became a lap quilt because i wanted to finish it but it starts to move faster later. The satisfaction is awesome.