May 15, 2008

Nature Painted

I've been reading this book, and this blog, and this website, and I think it's time to do more art projects with Lara. Creativity is such an important thing in my life, and something I would so much like to pass along to her... she is a little resistant though, what with being 2 and everything. I am also somewhat resistant to myself, what with being panicked at the infinite possibilities of messiness. And obviously the only thing I can actually transmit is the idea that creativity is a value - not the ability to create itself. Hard to distinguish, but crucial. Nevertheless, yesterday we collected some outside objects and then painted them:

Painted Pinecones

Some pinecones, a stick, and a spiky seed pod that my limited botanical skills cannot identify. Lara wasn't so much into the actual painting process, but she was totally thrilled to give a pinecone to Misha as a present when he came home at night, and to put another one up on her art shelf. We'll try again soon.


Laura said...

My son is not in to crafts or art and it kills me. I have tried everything.
Still, I won't give up! I will find something he likes! Keep trying!

cyndyava said...

Your post today reminds me of a book and blog that connect directly to what you've been thinking about. The Creative Family is an amazing book, written by Amanda Soule. I can't say enough about this inspiring woman...Just check out her blog and enjoy.

Anonymous said...

What a great idea to start with coloring real objects. I wish we did it when you were little. And I really liked the opened golden acorn - it looks very pretty.