February 3, 2010

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Using some of this recipe, I made a really yummy butternut squash soup the other day. Also, I learned that a squash can apparently sit around for a month or so without anything particularly bad happening to it.

I opted to go with a vegetable stock:

soup stock

Veggie stock is easy: carrots, onions, bell pepper, celery, fresh parsley, salt, pepper, ginger, coriander, 5-6 cloves of garlic, fresh dill. All spices to taste, and all vegetables barely chopped. Boil everything together for five to ten minutes. The resulting liquid? Delicious.

butternut squash soup

For the soup itself, I basically followed the recipe, with some minor changes. One, I used whatever apples we had around (I have a hard time identifying apples. These were stippled and red. I'm guessing anything - even a golden delicious - would probably work just fine.); and two, I skipped the crazy toppings because I'm a little bit of a coward. One squash made two big bowls of soup - which was great for a nice two-person dinner. I've long since given up trying to get Lara to eat my concoctions, which makes me a happier cook (no need to rein it in) and her a happier eater.

No comments: