February 24, 2009
Am I the only person who has an issue with Play-Doh? Lara loves this stuff, and I inwardly cringe every time she wants to play with it. I mean, on the one hand, I know I have what is probably an unusual sensory issue with touching things that are mushy or creamy (lotions are a problem, as you can imagine), so there is that. But what I really don't like is that weird smell that stays on your hands after touching Play-Doh - even after you wash them. Is it just me?
The upshot of my distaste is that Lara pretty much only plays with the stuff when someone less squeamish is around. Thanks, mommy!
On an unrelated note, I forgot to post these pictures from Misha's birthday dinner. I made a whole bunch of chocolate-dipped fruit (strawberries, raspberries, bananas, and apples), and it was a big hit with the small person. I think her face speaks for itself!
Oh, and incidentally, making chocolate-dipped fruit is really easy and delicious. It's my go-to dessert if we ever have to bring one to a potluck:
- put ten-twelve squares of dark chocolate (no more than 70%) and a tablespoon of olive oil into a non-plastic bowl
- place bowl into about half an inch of water in a pot on low-medium heat and wait for the chocolate to melt
- wash fruit and dry off any excess water (ideally, wash fruit earlier in the day so it can just dry off by itself - have you ever tried to dry a raspberry?)
- stir chocolate and olive oil, dip fruit, put fruit on wax paper to cool/harden
- don't worry if the first few come out less than attractive - they'll still taste delicious!