March 20, 2008

New Bed

Or at least that's what it feels like since we've been sleeping under the finished quilt for the last couple of days!

Blue squares quilt is done

I finally finished quilting, and then hand-sewed the binding (actually it's just fabric from the back folded over. The finished thing is about 84" x 96", big enough to cover our queen-size bed. I still would like to wash it so that it can get that lovely wrinkly quilty look, but it's so huge I'm not sure how to do it. (Any tips?) Here is a shot of what the back looks like. I'm thinking sometimes we'll just flip it over since this batik is so pretty.

Blue squares quilt with back fabric

Also, unrelatedly, I made this super-delicious frittata the other day for dinner (and then lunch, and then more dinner the next day - it was huge!). Very easy and seems quite customizable - always a plus in my kitchen where I just want to cook whatever I have on hand.

dinner - frittata

- 5-6 eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup grated mozzarella (honestly, I think you can use any cheese you like. I'm going to try it with goat cheese next time)
- diced veggies and/or meats (here I used onion, bell pepper, broccoli, chicken sausage, potato, and tomato)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
Saute the veggies in a frying pan. I sauteed everything that needed to be cooked - all the veggies except the tomatoes.
Whisk eggs and cheese together.
Put all veggies (including ones you didn't saute) into deep, oven-safe pan, put on medium-low heat, and pour egg and cheese mixture over them. Let cook undisturbed on the stove top for 10 minutes or so (the top will still be runny, but the bottom will be cooked).
Move to the oven and bake until the top is no longer runny, another 10 minutes or so.
Dig in!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Anna,
You can wash your quilt at the laundromat in the front-loading washer in cold water. Use a small amount of detergent.

Robyn in the Northwoods

Anonymous said...

Great quilt - enjoy! Very pretty colors. Re: the washing - Idid exactly what Robyn suggested, took ours to the laundromat, because their front-loaders are huge. I would also double-check what's inside the quilt, not every filler can be washed, some have to be dry-cleaned.

The ceaser salad on the plate also looks yummy... :)

susan said...

Wow, perfect timing -- I've been thinking that I might have to make a fritatta for easter, but all the recipes I have are for a fritatta pan that you flip -- not something in my kitchen. Yours looks delicious and I can't wait to try it. Thanks!

And the quilt is just beautiful. You must be thrilled. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe that's your first quilt! It's absolutely gorgeous.

Melanie said...

Hi, I love your quilt! Congratulations on your first one! Are there many more planned now?
To wash your quilt, try Soak, its a fabric/wool wash that should be available from your good local quilt store. With Soak, it doesnt require a final rinsing, so you can wash it in your laundry tub if its too big for the machine, then just wring it out as best you can, and to get it really crinkly, chuck it in the dryer (again, if it fits). If you didn't pre-wash your fabric (I never do) then you might need a 'colour catcher' which you can get from a supermarket, just so your white stays white.
I hope this helps (and that you haven't heard it before) I saw your quilt on Sew Mamma Sew and just had to have a closer look!