October 31, 2007

Jessie Cowgirl!

Jesse Cowgirl Costume (2)

Happy Halloween everyone! Today I experienced the total cuteness overload that is Halloween at Lara's daycare - a sea of tiny kids dressed in adorable-adorable tiny outfits, standing blank-faced and confused amidst a chaos of adults with cameras, adults with candy, adults with unyielding happy smiles, and adults in costumes. It was the best.

Lara's costume was tough. She doesn't really get Halloween as a concept yet, and is at the same time fairly adept at taking off her clothes - thus, she can't really be expected to suffer for the sake of a really great costume idea, nor can she be compelled to do so. So we needed to come up with something that would in general be "normal" clothing that wouldn't be too annoying to wear all day, but also should be a fun thing she could recognize. Thank goodness for Toy Story 2 - one of Lara's three favorite movies (Toy Story 1 & Monsters, Inc. - can you see the Pixar theme? These are the only things I can watch on endless repeat and not go crazy). So Jessie the Yodeling Cowgirl it was!

Jesse Cowgirl (movie images)

Jesse Cowgirl Costume (1)

All handmade and handsewn from scratch except the white shirt base. The belt buckle is made out of a Photoshopped and printed out picture of a bull, cardboard, and Mod Podge. The buttons are fabric-covered cardboard circles. The hat - oh, the hat! - is made of two pieces of felt, some ribbon, and yarn.

Jesse Cowgirl Costume (3)

I might secretly be a milliner. I'll be honest, I'm pretty damn proud of that hat. Thank you so much, Lara, for actually wearing it!

Jesse Cowgirl Costume (4)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are absolutely, totally adorable! Anna, you are my sewing and design hero. And Lara is the sweetest ever. Thanks for sharing! Love it, love it, love it.

Anonymous said...

Anna, you are the best and the most creative mommy! Lara makes for a great model to wear the costume - what fun to look at it! Thank you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely blog :)

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe that you made a hat. Well, I can believe that you made a hat, but if I had two pieces of felt, some ribbon, and yarn, it would not look like that.

teresa fsw said...

Oh my! She's so adorable!!! The outfit is perfect!!!

annalisa said...

I just came across your site while googling jessie costumes for my little girl. I have a question though... how in the world did you make that hat? Its ADORABLE! I can do the rest, but I can't figure the hat out. If you could let me know, that would be awesome! thanks.

amcconkie@hotmail.com

mina said...

i agree w/everyone ; ADORABLE !!! IT LOOKS LIKE AN EXACT REPLICA OF THE COSTUMES I'VE SEEN ONLINE FOR KIDS !

i want to be jessie for halloweed in three days ! but i can't seem to find a hat . they're all sold out or the shipping makes it go from 10 to 40 . please tell me how you made it ? ASAP ? m.nguyen-@hotmail.com if it doesnt work , empressiivee@live.com

thanks SO MUCH !
-- mina (:

Unknown said...

WOW I am in the middle of planning my daughters Jessie the cow girl party!! Please tell me how you did the hat? I would love to have it!!!

please email me elizabeth_palacios@echsonline.org

I would greatly appreciate it!!!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog while searching for a Jessie hat for my 2 year daughter. Would you mind sharing the directions as to how you made it? It is adorable!!!!
emradic@hotmail.com
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I too was searching for ideas on how to make a Jessie costume for my 9 month old. Wondering if you could share the directions on the hat technique with me as well. Thank you, meghanl77@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I have a 3 yr old that wants to be Cowgirl Jessie for Halloween and all the costumes are out of stock. I too would greatly appreciate the instructions/directions for making the hat. It looks great. My email is: elimar78@yahoo.com.

Anonymous said...

Add me to the list...I have a 4 yr old who wants to be Jessie for Halloween. I would also appreciate directions for making the hat. My email is heather7810@yahoo.com. Thanks much!!

kpk08 said...

I realize you made that Jessie costume 3 years ago, but it is PERFECT. Can you add me to the list of people that want to know how to make that hat. I (and my 2.5 year old daughter) would really appreciate it!
kathleen_keane@hotmail.com

Ginny said...

We too would like to make this hat. Will you share your directions?? 4deegees at comcast dot net. Thanks!!

Kristen said...

Could you Please add me to the list also!

Thank you so much!
Kristen

kristen@adaracing.com

Anonymous said...

I'm making a Jessie costume for my 3 year old as well! Can you send me directions for the hat too?! Thank you so much!
jensbaby1007@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I realize that it has been several years since you made this costume, but my little granddaughter wants to be Jessie the Cowgirl for Halloween. If you are sharing how to make the hat, I would love to have the instructions! Thanks!
ecumom@hotmail.com

Red Star Boutique said...

I am also making a Jessie costume for my 3-year-old this year and would really love to know how you made that amazing hat! I know this is an old blog post, but I'm hoping you might share your instructions anyways. Thanks for the inspiration!
redstarboutique(at)gmail(dot)com

jacqueline zwambag said...

Could you please tell me how you made that hat.. I´ve tried three times and it just isn´t working.
Thanks!!
jacquelinezwambag@gmail.com